Friday, October 23, 2009

Images elsewhere

A couple years ago Flickr turned on Creative Commons (wikipedia) licensing for photos uploaded there. I jumped in and made my Flickr photos all photos Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported. What that means is, you can use it as long as it is not for commercial use, but don't alter the image and give me credit. Because of this posting, I reviewed my license and updated it! (go me)


I have had plenty of my images used in various articles, comments, blogs, etc. I don't mind at all, but give me credit and don't make money off it unless you give me a chance too. I am starting to realize that my images are my hard work. I created them, I edited, uploaded, paid for the hosting, and share them with others. If you want to use them to promote you item for cash, I want in if we can come to a deal. I am done with the days of giving away my work, unless it is for a worthwhile charity.

A quick search on Google and Bing turned up these examples of people using my imagery for their site:

I could keep going, but hopefully you get the point...

I have also found myself not posting as many publically accessible photos on Flickr. I have moved my family photos to a privately accessible site. I remove the images after a short time. So while the quality of my images improve, the quantity that is publicly available has gone down.

No comments:

Post a Comment