Sunday, October 18, 2009

Fun with long exposures


Fun with long exposures
Originally uploaded by Phil Romans

So it has been raining here for about four days straight. A classic Nor'easter. It stopped raining finally this morning. Perfect time to head out for some waterfall photos along the Gunpowder. I knew the side streams would be raging and the overcast clouds would provide perfect shading for longer exposures.
At last second, I grabbed my strobe- thinking I could practice some 'painting' of objects with strobing on it. I really wasn't sure what I could do, but better to have it than not.

I tried the one idea and it failed horribly, painting a rock with strobe light. Then I got this idea to light my face with the strobe. I set the exposure at 2.5 seconds, time delayed trigger. The shutter opened and I popped the strobe two/three times at 1/4 power- hence the blur of my hands.

The long exposure allowed the stream flow to even out... and the strobe light on my face highlighted me. Kind of cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment