Monday, August 31, 2009

Killers tonight

I am planning on seeing the Killers tonight at Merriweather Post. I am not terribly excited about their latest album- Day and Age. However, I am more interested in photographing the show.
Orginally I was going to go with the wife to the show. We had some nice seats, but she decided it would be too much on the first night of school. Understandable. So I hocked those and still had two GA pit tickets. Perfect for photographing. However there is a downside to this, or rather a potential downside.
Security at the shows is now run by the 9:30 club, that changed a couple years ago. I had no clue. They are a bit tougher and no nonsense than the old security. On the Merriweather web site they state- no detachable lenses for cameras. That does present an interesting challenge.

Counter point- I went to a show for Death Cab for Cutie last year and took in my camera with the big lens. No one stopped me from shooting from seats. So there is a chance either I got lucky, was cautious enough, or they didn't care.

I don't think I will have a problem taking my Canon 30D body in. (No, I am not going to explain how I am going to get my gear in, thats not the point!) I am only going to use the 50mm f/1.8 lens. From the orershtra pit, any other lens will draw too much attention. Would have LOVED to take my 70-200mm f/2.8 IS in, but that would have been obscene and surely gotten me busted. I think the 30D body without the battery grip and a small lens is very non obivious. I think security is trained to look for big lenses. However, I have no direct information to back that up.

Lastly, being as tall as I am has it's advantages for PIT photography. I can easily see over heads of most everyone. The only problem I have encountered is when people throw their hands up. The downside is, I am somewhat more easily spotted.

No comments:

Post a Comment