Friday, August 28, 2009

Dark-sphere

I got this idea from combing two amazing photographers' ideas- David Hobby and Zach Arias.
First, David Hobby never understood why you would buy a Lightsphere when you could replicate it with a plastic soup container from sweet and sour soup.
Then Zach Arias showed off what he called a Darksphere, a Gary Fong Lightsphere painted black on the outside and silver on the inside.
DING!
While I like to re-task devices, I am not quiet willing to splurge on messing up my Lightsphere yet- not that rich. I can still use it for other things. (For the record, I would not buy it again... the soup container thing has convinced me.)

I took a soup container- traced the top of the strobe to the bottom of the soup container, carefully cut the slot for the strobe- Fits.
Paint the outside with black spray paint (plastic friendly paint), and the inside with white.

What it looks like fitted on a strobe: DIY Darksphere on camera


Super easy, and I can make them until the cows come home.


Test shots:

Test, bare strobe at 1/4 power: Bare flash, straight down 1/4 power

Test without diffuser (aka lid to soup), strobe at 1/4 power: DIY Darksphere, 1/4 power

Test with diffuser (aka lid to soup), strobe at 1/4 power: DIY Darksphere with diffuser, 1/4 power

It is a great little extra when trying to get something different on a portrait or other shots. Easy to make, great option. Great to tell people you got the free with a dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment