Monday, February 1, 2010

The Photography Channel?

Trying to get to sleep last night, I was hit with the thought of 'why isn't there more photography related shows?' Then the next thought was 'I wonder if there could be a Photography Channel' like FoodTV? I still recall hearing when FoodTV started that it was a little odd to have a entire network based around food. But I saw the light... I doubt that a Photography Channel would ever get to the level where it is selling its own gear at Kohls like FoodTV, but I do believe there is a place for it.

I realize there are drawbacks- like current lack of any successful photography related TV shows. Most of the content is rolled in to shows about something else. Like Christmas in Yellowstone by PBS. It showed some of what it took to get amazing photos in those conditions. But that was it.
I think if photography was more popular like cooking, that there would be more shows devoted to them. The push for it does not seem to be there.

However, I think it could be a good niche channel. There are plenty of channels on cable/dish etc that you do not watch, so why not give it a try? There could be all sorts of subjects. Here are some that I came up with off the top of my head:

  • Gear reviews- from camera bodies, to lenses, to lighting, to extras.
  • History of photography
  • Classes/follow-along to try your own hand. 
  • Professional uses- wedding, portraits, sports, photo journalism
  • Contests
  • Best of
  • Photography stores
  • Computer based photography- editing, posting, hosting
  • Copyright laws
  • Selling images in various formats
  • Film studies
  • Travel base photography
  • Editing tools like Photoshop, Gimp, Lightroom, Aperture, Picasa

Gosh knows there is always something new to report on. Every year there is new gear introduced, lots of new people using them... I know I would latch on and find a couple shows to work with. May I put in an early vote to give David Hobby his own show!  =)    (I suppose it was only time until he got a Wiki entry devoted to him!)

In any case, has this been tried or attempted yet? Has anyone thought about this? Can I get a large benefactor to help me out here to get this started?

Or is the current state still scattered enough to support the market place? Various support websites do an amazing collection of people. But I think there are plenty of people who don't want to dig in to the sites to learn nor want to spend lots of money for classes. There is a market out there folks- now lets get this started!

1 comment:

  1. There have been a few photography centered shows I've seen on here in Canada: Naked in the House (photo competition), PhotoXplorers (urban exploration set around photographing abandoned places/buildings) and The Shot (like Americas Next Top Model but for photographers). I agree with you tho, there should be a channel deticated to photography.

    ReplyDelete