Sunday, November 13, 2011

11/11/11 A football game- recap

Shooting sports is not something I do that often, though I think I really like it. Therefor- it is VERY hard for me and I get frustrated.

As I predicted, my 70-200mm lens was on my 7D body for 95% of the game. And as the game was under the lights, I was glad for the usable higher ISO and the low low f/2.8. Getting the right angles, figuring out what is important, and following the action is even more interesting. (read hard) I think if I had more pratice and more of a direct goal, it could/would be easier. I do know a 70-200 is not going to get me very far in the sports photography world. I would need at least one more body and a 300mm or 400mm prime lens. The 70-200 is good for 'closer' up photography... in my case, it was the best I had and I 'happy' with the results.

I took well over 500 photos, but it was easy as the Canon 7D made shooting 7 fps much easier to snap crazy.

It was also a little frustrating as a lot of the action wind up being away from me, run away from me, or generally not easy to shoot. However, I did position myself to snap, as it turned out, the winning score. It was right in front of me, and I recognized the play pretty much right away.

Woot. Life is good for that one.

For the rest of the set, check my flickr set for them. It helps to have a relationship with the subject in question. I've shot other games, and I was able to call the day of and get permission to shoot this. Thank you again Calvert Hall.

No comments:

Post a Comment