Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Simple gear dilemma

So my birthday just passed and I got some cash to buy photo gear. I know what I would LIKE to get, however the budget is not that expansive! I would love to get the Canon 5D Mark II, or the 24-70mm f/2.8, but that is not realistic at all. Not when the lens is about $1300 and the Canon body is $2500.

What can I get that is cheaper and usable? Now that is a pickle.

So far I have decided on:
Op/Tec raincover
Digital Timer Remote
Two new replacement Batteries
Some Conkin P series adapters for my 70-200 lens

I am debating on several other items, such as an additional Compact Flash card, maybe trying out a cheapie beauty dish/ring light. But the debate rages in my head on what would make photographing the kids easier. At this point, unless I get a separate high ceiling room in my house with a full-time setup for portraits, not much rings a bell for me right now.

I've built some DIY gear like gridspots, light tent, gels for strobes, and some other fun stuff. But how much homemade stuff can I do?

So basically I have hit a practical wall- there are not much else I can do with small items unless I spend more time and energy to put in to the hobby to learn and grow more. I am very comfortable with my results, but I know I can do better. So whats next? I don't know if I can get there from here with the time and energy I have available.

Maybe I should just get a nice new hiking camera bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment