Monday, March 26, 2012

Calvert Hall Lacrosse

#24 Stephen Kelly
I had the opportunity to go to Calvert Hall and photograph the lacrosse team's first ever game under the lights at Russo Stadium on campus. (Flickr set of the game here)

Calvert Hall lacrosse was ranked #1 nationally by many polls. Wow, I had no idea. They were going to play their first game under the lights at the stadium, again cool. The Philly based team was ranked as high as a top 10 team, so they were no slouches.

However, I have never shot lacrosse before. I played it when I was a wee-dude. But that is as close to a lacrosse game as I have gotten in a couple decades.  I started to do some research on team members I should target. I searched which players have college commitments- seniors, 15, juniors (yes, juniors) 1 that I know of. We are talking loaded at every position apparently. They are loaded, talented, driven, and very hungry.

I talked with a co-worker who had played in college to get a better idea of where to setup shop. I started watching some videos to get an idea of what to look for.

Turns out- shooting lacrosse is not as difficult to shoot as I thought it would be. However, I was limited by my one lens- 70-200 f/2.8. I do wish I had the 1.4x extender to get slightly further reach. I don't need the 300mm, thankyouverymuch.

I would say half of the game I was just waiting for the action to come towards me. I would setup in different spots along the back corners just waiting. A few times I tries going behind the goals, standing with my lens just about touching the netting.

#3 Brian Bolewicki
The only other 'problem' was the shifting light during the first quarter or so of the game. As the sun fully set, and the lights of the stadium took over. I had to adjust shooting as things progressed. Once it was fully dark, then I could just sit on the settings of the camera without too much adjustment.

One thing I was aware of, slightly concerned about, but never had to react to was a stray lacrosse ball coming at me. That small rubber ball could have done some damage to my gear!

No comments:

Post a Comment