Friday, June 21, 2013

Memory

(been way too long since my last post- been lacking motivation to post)

Today I am wondering how much memory should I have with me? Well, that's a tough one for a very enthusiastic amateur to know. My shooting style can range from a shot of a caterpillar on the back deck to vacation with family, to a local sporting event.

I recently came back from vacation where I was shooting family fun. I was restricted in backups or archiving. Lots of chimping and deleting as we progressed to recover memory. I was shooting RAW, my default file format. I had two 8 GB cards, and a 2 GB card. For a grand total of 18 GB memory.

Yet I ran out. Even with all the clearing and such... I did not have enough storage. For the record, it was north of 700 RAW photos in about 4-5 days.

What should I do in the future to not run out of space? Here are the options I have:

  • Buy more memory. It is 'cheap' enough now... a 16 GB card is about $40. Bringing my portable storage to 34 GB. About 1300 RAW photos.
  • Buy a portable memory cell. A 320 GB one runs about $136 from B&H. Thats the cheapest one, and smallest. I could dump images for days with this. They have a 1 TB for $619.
  • Use a laptop for portable storage. Problem is, I don't own a laptop... I don't know about packing and caring for a laptop on trips. Even a refurb'd, generic as heck, Dell runs $579. (500 GB) A refurb'd MacPro is over $1,000. MacAir doesn't have enough storage to make it feasible at the price.
  • Don't take as many photos- thats just despressing.

I don't know what the answer is right now. Anyone want to be my corporate sponsor and provide me with more storage? I got a big Disney trip this fall, and I refuse to run out of memory!

No comments:

Post a Comment