Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Could not agree more

Scott Bourne was exactly on target with his post, "I Only Shoot With Natural Light." I read it and couldn't help but smile at my own ignorance back in the day.

Here is what I wrote up regarding how I was dealing with light sources back in December of 2011.

I fully admit I did not look at alternative light sources because of a lack of knowledge. I was afraid, it was easier to just work with what was there. I couldn't see the image because I didn't know. I did not work towards 'crafting' an end result. I only was taking photos because they were interesting results. Now I see images in my head, and how the results should be. As an example, this past December I was asked to take a couple photos for/of a magazine. I thought about it, and the method of lighting the scene, and the results came.

Do I wish I had dove right in to lighting and such? Probably not. There are stages of learning required for various things. Some people understand things naturally and can process multiple points all at once, for the rest of mortals, it takes time. Like understanding the rules of photography through practice and trying. Then once it is understood, you can break the rules for reasons that are understood regarding impact.

Whats important? The image, only the image. As Scott accurately points out.

No comments:

Post a Comment